Digestive health is necessary for one’s overall general health and is a concern for all age groups, including infants, children, baby boomers and the elderly. In particular, demand for digestive health aids has shown a significant increase amongst teens and young adults for enhancing weight loss.
Factors Driving Growth of Nutritional Digestive Aids
Rise in digestive health concerns – Unhealthy lifestyles have negatively impacted digestive health in a number of ways. Poor dietary habits and stress lead to the loss of good bacteria, which often results in chronic digestive problems.
Rise in obesity – Increased emphasis on the importance of diets and weight loss regimens to fight obesity has led consumers to seek digestive aids that optimize healthy digestion and weight loss.
Rise in digestive health research – Scientific advances in understanding how optimal digestive health can impact other aspects of health and well being are driving sales of digestive aids. The use of enzymes, prebiotics and probiotics separately or in combination is becoming more widespread.
Growing consumer awareness – Today, more Americans are familiar with herbal or natural ingredients for supporting digestive health. As a result, they are more open to trying new products based on scientific research that help:
- Boost immune health – About 70 percent of the immune system is located in the digestive tract. A variety of friendly bacteria in the intestines can help reduce the chances of infection and illness.
- Optimize digestive health – Proliferation of healthy bacteria assists in the synthesis of Vitamins such as K, B12 and other B complex vitamins. This also leads to the better absorption of nutrients and expulsion of unhealthy fats.
Consumers are finding nutritional supplements to be a better choice – Unlike pharmaceutical digestive drugs or aids that do not address the causes of poor dietary health, nutritional supplements for digestive and colonic health offer a more comprehensive approach and help people better meet their health needs.
Consumers prefer self-help – Herbal colon cleanse products and enzymes offer the best relief with minimal side effects. As a result, herbal colon supplements have experienced remarkable growth in the recent years.
Top Digestive Aids
According to Global Industry Analysts, the world’s largest market research company, fructans such inulin and FOS represent the biggest segment in the U.S. probiotics market with mannan-oligosaccharide (MOS) predicted to be the fastest growing product. Fructans are used to help prevent chronic inflammatory disorders such as Crohn’s disease.
Different bacteria strains play specific roles in digestive health. The most popular are Lactobacillus, bifidobacterium and acidophilus. These live bacteria provide the host with multiple health benefits.
The Consumer’s Guide to Probiotics states about two million visits to the doctor are related to constipation and about $725 million are spent on laxatives each year. Research shows that probiotics helps to optimize digestive health and promotes immune health in infants and children. Probiotics are also useful after treatment with antibiotics. Antibiotics deplete the healthy growth of bacteria in the intestines and a dose of probiotics can help to restore a healthy microflora.
Fiber includes both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber is known to help control blood sugar and healthy cholesterol levels. Non-soluble fiber is used to treat constipation and help regulate normal bowel functions.
Lack of digestive enzymes can lead to common digestive ailments such as indigestion, bloating, flatulence, and heartburn. It can also lead to food cravings. Most consumers prefer a blend of essential multi-enzymes to address their needs since these ensure proper absorption of all nutrients. The more popular enzymes are papain, bromelain, lipase and others.
Digestive Supplements: A Guide for Supplement Companies
- Innovative blends that contain a broad spectrum of nutrients and herbs that approach digestive and colonic health comprehensively have more consumer appeal.
- Educating the public about digestive health ingredients, how they work and providing supportive scientific research related to the ingredients can help generate consumer awareness, confidence and trust.
- Specific strains of bacteria with their potency and shelf life viability are important information consumers are looking for on the label.
- Consumers continue to desire delivery forms that are simple to understand and convenient to use.
- Consider manufacturing products that are travel-friendly and address unique digestive health needs of on-the-go travelers.
- Age-specific formulas or condition-specific health formulas appeal to those with specific digestive health needs.
The Digestive Health Market Continues to Expand
Digestive ailments affect 60 to 70 million Americans, according to the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC). These include occasional bouts of indigestion, constipation to more serious digestive problems.
According to a report from Global Industry Analysts (GIA), the U.S. market for prebiotics is projected to reach nearly $225 million by the year 2015. In the past 3 years, consumer demand for combination digestive enzymes has risen.
Consumer demand for scientifically-based digestive aids is expected to rise as the digestive health market expands. Contact a quality supplement manufacturer who can offer you a well-formulated private label formula or customize your own formula to meet the digestive health needs of your target audience.
Nutricap Labs is a full service supplement manufacturer. We primarily manufacture nutritional supplements, capsules, powders, liquids and creams, but we also offer label and packaging design services and order fulfillment services to our customers.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Kevin_A/260517